You'll notice I titled this post Blissful Business to replace the old column title, Entrepreneuress 101. Now that I have been crafting my Blissful Living movement, the word just feels more right to me. I can remember back in 2010 when I was working with a book agent, he would NOT let me use the world bliss anywhere in my work and I immediately decided to move on. Since the very first days of my blog, almost 10 years ago, it was titled 'secrets of domestic bliss'. I have felt such a strong connection to the word 'bliss' for so long, I grow closer to it everyday.
I still want to share the things I learn as I am in business for myself, I've always loved to share these things with you. Back when I started, no one was really sharing any entrepreneurial tips and now it seems you can't get away from the advice and coaches out there. It's so interesting to think about. Which is also why I am feeling the 'blissful business' vibes because these days, its all about tricks, strategies and the hustle and I have learned from experience it's not the only way to approach business.
Years ago, when I created my e-course, Unleash Your Ista, I learned that connecting with your intuition, practicing personal development and getting strong in your own spirituality were such an essential part of running and sustaining a business that enhances your entire life. You can hustle as much as you want, but if you aren't doing the things that are meant for you and you aren't aligned with your business, it's going to be much harder than its meant to be. Your intuition, or as I like to call it 'your ISTA' can lead you to the only strategies you'll need to keep you successful not only in your business but also in your life.
That is what Blissful Business is all about to me. One of the most important aspects of running a blissful business, is staying aligned with your success and surrounding yourself with things that keep you focused, feeling confident and totally inspired. Here are a few things that I personally like to keep near me on my desk, to keep inspiration at an all time high!
1. My lucky coffee mug. I found this black mug with red roses at TJMaxx I think. It was the perfect mug for me because I love black floral anything and roses are my absolute favorite. I have my coffee in the mornings in this beautiful mug because it makes me feel feminine and pretty.
2. My Louis Vuitton GM agenda. First of all, this agenda is so luxurious and being a planner/journal nerd, it is an obsession. I currently am using another planner for my calendar and time management system, I love the Law of Attraction planners and Day Designers. However, in my LV agenda, I have currently set it up to be more of a note taking, list making system. Writing to do lists, goal lists, monthly actions list, blog post idea lists on gorgeous paper keeps my mind organized, sparks my creative thinking and makes me feel "together". If you are a mess in the mind, you will be a mess in business. I will do a planner breakdown post soon.
3. My creative visual journal. I love journaling, its a practice I have been using since I was a young girl. Typically after a meditation session or a good workout, I like to free write or free draw in my journal to clear my mind. Subconscious thoughts are always coming out on the paper and sometimes this is where I find my most brilliant ideas. Literally as I write, words will pour out with dreams and desires I had no idea were looming.
As a designer, I am always flipping through catalogs and magazines to get inspiration for my work. In an effort to be more clutter free, I have become obsessed with tearing out pages that visually inspire me and putting the images in my journal. Then I just toss the mags and catalogs but I keep only the things that are inspiring to me. ( I also have a binder for interiors images that I don't want to cut up or glue down)
I find that this process really elevates my creative senses and enhances the overall experience of inspiration during work. When I'm with my visual journaling I have so much more energy to create with and to work with. And again, fresh ideas!
4. A stack of my current favorite books. I love books. Books are my happy place. I like to have them close so that I can pick them up, open to a page and read some paragraphs. I have found that sometimes its like a magical experience because I'll find a quote or a little tool of inspiration that I really was needing, or something that shifts how I approach my work. Keeping these on hand also reminds me to continue to expand my mind and follow my dreams, because books have always made me feel encouraged to create.
5. My vision board. I am typically not the type to share a close look at my vision board but this year it is my goal to get more personally visible in my business and on this blog. I have been asked to share more of myself by many of my readers. My vision board not only makes me feel happy, it reminds me what I want to create this year. It also keeps me connected to the grand vision for my life, so it makes me want to continually pursue my dreams and not let the small doubts and fears get the best of me.
I find that when I am lit up by my work, feeling fueled creatively, I am a much happier person. I will never be the type of person who doesn't want to work, not having that outlet just doesn't bring out the best in me. This is just who I am. Now that I am expecting, things have sort of shifted. I've found that I slow down a little more and work more with the flow of my work life. This has always been something I do, but I am implementing it more in my business. So. as I transition from #ladyboss to #mommyboss, I will be sharing more of the things that work for me and how I plan on staying blissful in my business. Make sure to stay in the loop by joining my love letter list, there you will get the updates first.