Every so often I deal with clients who hire me to come and style their space. They have most of what they need, they just need styling help. So, today I'm giving you a few tips that I always share when styling shelves.
1. Color blocking books. This one is a must when looking to make your shelves look pulled together and chic. Notice even how in this photo, all the books are in deep colors, like the room. There is even a whole collection of black books to match the gorgeous walls. Usually, I find that the original binding, not the paper book cover, is better. I always love finding the bold color with metallic font so exciting.
2. Color arranged accessories. So let's say your books aren't easily put into color order, perhaps you love to group by book genre. That's fine. Try grouping your accessories in color arrangements. Here, you find a bunch of random accessories in white + silver. This mix looks great together. Notice that these accessories range from large + really small. Plenty of both fill the space so well.
3. Wallpaper. Another way to pull a look together is by adding wallpaper to the back of your bookshelves. This pulls together any sort of look and keeps it looking "styled", no matter what is in there.
4. Stylish organization. I absolutely love the look of matching baskets in shelving to use as storage. It creates such a homey feeling. I love this case mixed in with gorgeous matching china on display. It's a very sophisticated look.
5. Symmetry. When you have a pair of bookcases & they are already pretty full of books nevermind accessories, don't fret. Try as best you can to have everything balanced. Books in the same sizing on both sides, throw matching items on top, like these gorgeous dishes. Also, you can use the very bottom shelf on both sides for more weighty accessories and that will ground the look.
6. Stylish Drama. This might be my favorite bookcase style. First of all, the drama created when the inside of shelving is painted in such a high contrast to the wall color...this creates instant high style. Next, you see beautiful dishes on display. This is perfect for an entertainer because everything is out and ready to use. I love the symmetry in this one too. This is unexpected and interesting which creates a feast for the eyes. Genius, right?