As much as I love a gorgeously glamorous home, there is another part of me that absolutely feels so called to beach living. Whenever I am around water, I feel like I am at church, it is something that feels very spiritual to me. As I was gathering inspiration for my baby boy's room, I came across this incredible kids room from the book, Surf Shack, Laid Back Living by the Water. It really spurred my connection to decorating with natural elements. There is something very calming about natural decor and it got me to thinking about creating the same sort of energy for my baby.
Here is what I know about decorating with natural elements like wood in your home.
- It is the chi (energy) of new beginnings and springtime
- If you are feeling stuck it is a great way to get you moving
- If you are a little lethargic it might be the element you need more of in your life
- If you live in a basement apartment you will need to lift the chi with wood
- If you want more growth and activity in your life, wood items will encourage those feelings
- It boosts vital and lively energy into your life
A few tips:
Vertical stripes represent the natural energy of growth and vibrancy
Wood fosters personal growth and increases intuition, so books and magazines are a great representation as well.
Too much of The Wood Element can restrict your ability to make decisions, develop new ideas and experience lack of empathy for others so feel free to balance out the wood with metal. Think metallics like gold, silver, copper and even iron.
If you don't really connect to the natural look in home decor, you may want to try and just create a small table altar and style it with wood elements and beautiful plants. That works just as well as a whole room makeover. Sea shells are fun to work with too, I love finding them at antique fairs and boutiques.
Get yourself some natural elements here: