What can I say? Something about the weather changing and the month of October that puts me in a certain type of mood. My mood tends to lean towards dark colors, warm textures and lots of layers. I am a maximalist at heart but I also believe so much in decluttered and organized interiors. Especially now that I have a baby, I have become borderline OCD.
Thank goodness for blogging and perusing interiors on the internet so that I may indulge my maximalist fantasies. I wanted to share some photos of this gorgeously moody home. A perfect vibe for the month of October. This is the home of Kristine from @restoringlandsdowne and may I just say, it’s gorgeous! I am just drooling over the wall color here.
In other blissful news, seeing this gorgeous home prompted me to think of how important it is to keep a healthy home. When we decoristas layer, decorate with beautiful things it can get cluttered and a lot of home pollutants can creep in to our dwellings. I am not one to sacrifice looks for health when it comes to interiors, so I have come up with a list of things I liek to do to keep my home healthy!
Open windows regularly. With the weather changing, there is a chill in the air and letting in that fresh air will do wonders for your space. It will allow the air to circulate and breathe. Fresh, natural air is good for everyone in the home. Not to mention your mood will improve too.
Dust often. With dark colors and dark floors, dust is easy to spot. However, just because you can’t see the dust doesn’t mean its not there. You want to make sure you keep dust at bay as much as possible. The two secret spaces that you MUST clean regularly are fans and below furniture, bed, sofa, etc.
3. Natural cleaning products. Mrs. Meyers is my absolute favorite brand of cleaning products. Even the candles make your home smell fresh. I particularly like this Honeysuckle spray for cleaning surfaces. Especially with a baby around, the importance of natural products is EVERYTHING.
4. Beautiful oil diffusers. Okay, I swear by essential oils and diffusers to purify the air while adding beneficial properties via aromatherapy to boot. I’ve had so many throughout the years but I have to say when the diffuser mixes in with your decor, its so much better and easier to use. You will more likely use it throughout the day because its too pretty not to. When they are the more generic ones, they can be an eye sore in a beautiful interior. That’s happened with me, as I would store them when I wasn’t using them and didn’t use as often as I would have liked too.
5. Keep purifying plants in your home. Greenery is absolutely one of the best things to have in your home. The waves that plants give off combat all the tech we use in our homes. So, really, its like the more the merrier. A few plants that are really best for your home, Boston Fern, Bamboo Palm, Dragon Tree, Spider plant, Golden Pothos. You can also check out this book, this is my favorite resource.
6. Wash your pillows. Pillows are one of the number one dirtiest things in your home, so be sure you are replacing them and cleaning them regularly. This goes for your bedding, too. Linen bedding and fabrics are really fantastic because it is breathable and anti bacterial. Check to make sure your bedding is healthy for you. It is important to invest in this. You can also research the best ways to wash your pillows.
7. Wood in the kitchen. Ah yes, wood is such a great thing for the home. When it comes to your cookware, I highly suggest using wooden cooking tools versus the plastic and silicone. Why? Because heat will emit dangerous chemicals when those plastics get hot. Go shopping for the wooden ones now! As you know, I am an Amazon addict so I found these that will set you straight.
8. White Vinegar. Let’s be clear, cleaning your home well is a great way to make sure your home is healthy. White vinegar is one of those things that really cleans. Like really, really cleans. I use white vinegar to clean the coffee maker, any brushes or scrubbers, cutting boards, etc. This is one of those must haves you must have.
Now back to this home….isn’t it just gorgeous. Dark, moody, glamorous. Good design is in the details and the details here spot on! Beautiful job.