The pressure to be a workaholic doesn’t go away without making a concerted effort to prioritizing wellness. Maintaining a commitment to your dreams Is all about having the right mindset, the right focus and making yourself a priority.
One of my non-negotiables is getting an adequate amount of down time to get inspired. As much as I love Pinterest, it's important for me to step away, change my routine and get out of town to really get the nourishment my soul needs.
Oftentimes, I find my inspiration for new designs in places I stay, artwork I see, magazines I find at the coffee shop, etc. I recently spent some time by the water and the ocean breeze reminded me of some of my most treasured Summer memories.
I lived in San Diego for a Summer with one of my best friends right out of college. The space was decorated with all white walls, soft & neutral bohemian finds were tossed about in a cozy way. Being that we were steps from the beach, we just adored the coastal and super budgeted decor.
Today, in a new client's home, I am going to try and re-create this look in a modern way. A combination of bohemian, monochromatic & glamorous.
When clients come to me asking to design their homes, I like to draw inspiration from a shared connection. When clients tell me stories of their favorite places to travel, color palette choices and what vibe they naturally gravitate towards, I like to think back to what illustrates those feelings for me too. It always seems to create a perfect backdrop for the lifestyle that they desire enhanced with a little fun flair.
5 TIPS FOR ACHIEVING BOHEMIAN GLAMOUR AT HOME:
1. Focus on fabrics. Rugs, throw blankets, pillows, floor cushions, curtains, etc. You want the fabrics to feel soft and cozy. Something you would want to curl up next to after a day at the beach.
2. A modern twist on neutrals. To update the boho look, feel free to incorporate metallics which make fabulous neutrals. Silver and gold are excellent choices that go with almost any color palette.
3. Exotic lighting. This is one area where you can really have fun. Shop antique stores and vintage shops for lighting that drapes or hangs on a chain. Curved and round shapes create a natural and soft look.
4. Wall decor instead of art. Many times I see wood carved wall hangings as beautiful headboards and artwork. Woven bowls, juju hats, Moroccan trays make such beautiful wall hangings. You can often find things like this on your exotic vacations, I always opt to purchase things on my travels because they serve as reminders of beautiful memories. (That is very good Feng Shui)
5. Candles & plants. You can never have enough candles to create an elegant yet relaxed ambiance, and greenery has never been more glamorous.