HYGGE season is officially here. If you haven't already become familiar, Hygge, pronounced Hoo-gah, is a term the Danish use to refer to living cozy. The Danish are some of the happiest people on the planet so I am of course always eager to adopt joyful, happy and blissful traditions. It's important to me to encourage and inspire you to learn about mindfulness, blissful living, simplicity, finding your passion or purpose, improving your relationships and adding the concept of Hygge to your life is only going to add to your overall life experience. In fact, it may enhance everything! I live this way pretty much on a daily basis but the holidays are the perfect time to really try to incorporate this way of living into your daily routine.
1. Set the mood for cozy. In order to feel the Hygge vibes in your home you want to set the stage for slowing down and getting relaxed. That looks like, dim lighting and lighting the fire. Candle light is a great substitute for a fireplace. I think this Holiday gift set from Diptyque is a great way to experience the luxe candles AND a great way to gift a friend the experience of Hygge too.
2. Add plush textures to your seating areas. I am absolutely obsessed with silk velvet pillows with down inside. It's like relaxing on a dream, I have a couple on my bed and my sofa for the Fall/Winter months. I also take out my sheepskin rug and set it next to my bed so that when I wake up, I step onto divine goodness. I also like to sit on the floor and read a book or journal on it. Yes, it's that cozy! I also have a cozy blanket for every room in my house, Ugg makes the most delicious cozy blanket. I am obsessed with blankets and I even travel with them too.
3. Dress up for it. I am big on fashion for the home and I am a huge believer that everyone should dress up for their home just as they do the streets. It's an act of self care and it feels fantastic and luxurious. I always love a good cozy robe, and Barefoot Dreams is one of my favorite brands. Everything they make is absolutely perfect for the art of Hygge. For the days you spend at home, a chic pajama set will make your days feel so blissful and you must top it off with a divine set of chic slippers.
4. Leisurely activities. Hygge is really all about living in the present moment, not frantically running about. It's important to allow yourself to relax and enjoy things that make you feel blissful. Read a good book, I recommend The Year of Cozy, The Cozy Life or even Blissful Living. Spend time alone journaling or gazing out the window. Do crafts or hobbies that you really enjoy. Take time to enjoy the moment, spending time at home with your loved ones and feel the happiness.
5. Play happy music. Enough said, really. I love the holidays because Christmas music always makes me feel happy.
6. Indulge in self care. Never underestimate the power of a good long hot bath with some detoxifying and delicious bath salts. Make sure to enjoy some tea in a beautiful mug, how gorgeous are these?. I love Kusmi teas. There isn't a better feeling that coming out of the bath and slathering on body lotion. I have been obsessed with this Laura Mercier body lotion for over 5 or 6 years now. It smells divine and feels fabulous. Get one for a friend too, they will love you forever. Then enjoy a face mask, this one is my current favorite, and a hair mask. It's important to not forget the hair!
7. Prepare to spoil your people. You don't want to forget that being surrounded by the people you love and creating memories is the ultimate joy! Plan a beautiful dinner party or host a movie night at home.
To get in the habit of Journaling, try the 5 minute journal.
I absolutely adore this diamond crushed velvet quilt set for the bed.
Place beautiful illuminating candles in hurricanes throughout the home. I am absolutely obsessed with these luster vases.
This is, quite possibly, the most perfect fireside throw blanket, ever!
Don't forget to channel your inner domestic goddess and bake something, try out some recipes from A year of cozy!