Unfortunately for me, I am sick this weekend. So that means no packing or shopping today. Ugh. I absolutely hate being sick, especially on a Saturday morning where I typically fit in my leisurely shopping and sourcing. Thank goodness for instagram. Being stuck in bed gives me ample time to peruse my favorite instagram pages and search for new inspiration for my clients and myself of course.
I came across a slew of photos from an event at the new Chanel Jewelry Box at Bergdorf Goodmans and oh my god was I floored. First of all, I adore everything Chanel. My collection of my grandmothers vintage Chanels are some of my most treasured items in my closet. I absolutely love the brand too. This new shop was outfitted to perfection in my opinion, perfectly Chanel. So I put together a little bit of home inspiration based on the new jewelry showroom.
1. Stay true to your soul. This quote says it all. What does your home say about you? You want the story of each room to speak to who you are or who your family is. In this jewelry box, you get the essence of a beautiful, sophisticated and feminine woman who takes pride in looking beautiful. . .and keeping her gems beautiful too. She entertains, has room for guests and enjoys a little bubbly while getting ready. I love this girl. Invest in accents for your home, only buy things that make you feel glamorous. Perhaps it's a gorgeous jewelry box or a new bar cart to display your favorite wines.
2. Lighting is everything. It's actually supposed to be the jewelry of the home, so you want to make sure it looks absolutely fabulous. You wouldn't wear an unattractive pair of earrings, would you? Be sure to invest in pretty lighting with bulbs that bring out the best in you. Lighting totally affects how you look, read this article to determine which light to choose for your skin tone.
3. Reflections add dimension. Have you ever seen Coco Chanel's apartment? The entire staircase was mirrored, oh gosh its so fabulous. She was notorious for having crystals, mirrors and anything metallic and reflective. The reflective surfaces add layers and movement to a space. It makes everything just feel more grand. Get yourself a gorgeous venetian mirror to stare into while getting ready or opt for a shiny bar cart to delight your guests while serving them some champagne.
4. Black and white are classics. When in doubt, decorate in black and white. I love this arrangement of all white book covers for the bookcase. It keeps things looking tailored and pulled together. Many people don't know how to style their bookshelves, so take a nod from Chanel and deck it out in all white or all black accents. It makes for a classic yet totally chic color palette.
5. Florals are fun. Coco Chanel was a big fan of Camellia's and always had them in her spaces. I love how in this room, florals were brought in through beautiful wallpaper and it doesn't look tacky or over done. Find a small and simple way to bring your favorite florals into your space to keep it personal and smelling fabulous. I am not the biggest fan of floral prints so I opt for diptyque candles in my favorite scents.
6. Luxury is in the details. The coffee table books, the way you display your perfumes, the soft textures in pillows and furs. All of these small little details are what give a space its luxurious feeling. Remember that in order for your home to feel more luxurious, you must pay attention to even the smallest detail of how you live. Maybe you could arrange some flowers in a beautiful vase and tie a ribbon around it, light a candle with gorgeous matches on display next to it or serve your cocktails in gorgeous Baccarat crystal glassware with monogrammed napkins.
7. Stick to a palette. Every fashionable woman has a color palette that she sticks to. Rachel Ashwell is whites with pale pink and blue, Coco Chanel is black, white tan and gold. When you always have a strict color palette to stick to, you can't go wrong when out purchasing for your home. Create one for yourself so that your style will be your signature.
Shop my picks for a Get the look of Coco Chanel's Jewelry Box Studio.
Find images here. Via @ericaaulds | @laurenlcaon | @sidesmilestyle | @glamisandglitter