I've always felt very strongly about 'coming home'. When designing homes for my clients, I don't really aim to create a space for my portfolio or design magazines. I've always intended to create spaces that make my clients feel good about coming home. My mission in life is to inspire people to create a personal sanctuary that feels good to them and creates happiness for everyone who lives there or enters. I like to create experiences that make life feel more rich and full. A space to nurture and comfort you through life's ups and downs.
Currently for me, life is proving to be full of so many different emotions. I've been so blessed to have been born into a really big and extended family. With that blessing comes so much. These recent shootings, have hit home for my family as we've got young black children who feel really affected by the recent media and gay men who also have felt heartbroken. We've got a family member who suddenly was told she has cancer and its so severely spread, there is nothing they can do about it. There has also been new babies brought into the family and an upcoming 99th birthday. It just seems like so much is happening right now and the one place we all find refuge and comfort is being together at home.
It's more important than ever that we make an effort to invest time and energy in your home. You want to clean out what isn't needed any longer, refresh your space with fresh and calming color, create spaces for communication and togetherness and sanctuaries that serve you to achieving sufficient sleep. Here are a few ways to give your home a personal refresh:
1. CREATE A HOME OFFICE NOOK: I love the fact that I get to work from home. My desk space is probably the place where I feel most in my zone and my place to feel focused and centered. If you don't have a proper work space in your home, you can create a nook with a favorite chair + a small side table with a few things like pens, notepad, space for your laptop and perhaps a vase of your favorite flowers. You want a proper space where you can make your lists, finish your necessary tasks like paying bills and setting up appointments. Having a proper space for these tasks keeps this disciplined energy in one area so the anxiety and frustration of these tasks can be left there. When you make this space pretty + stylish, it should bring beauty to you while accomplishing these tasks so it doesn't feel so dreadful. Pretty flowers and photos really help you to get in a good feeling zone while working.
2. PERSONALIZE YOUR PULLS: In almost every one of my clients homes we have opted to change our drawer pulls in an effort to make the space more glam and personal. Whether you are trying to refurbish and old dresser or spruce up your bathroom cabinets, this is a fabulous way to add a little more personality and panache to your home.
Anthropologie has my absolute favorite pulls:
3. A WALL OF LOVE: When I was in college, my roommate and I used to have wine and painting parties. We would invite our friends over to paint canvases while listening to music. It was the only art we could really afford and it actually looked pretty awesome. When our friends came over they would love to see their work on our wall. It created the best memories and just made our home filled with love. If you watched Real Housewives of Beverly Hills like I did, then you saw Yolanda Foster's wall of small paintings by her friends and family which she was completely proud of. It's kind of a fun idea and a great way to bring everyone together.
4. MONOGRAM YOUR LINENS: While it may seem a little traditional, I always love the look of monogrammed towels, pillows, table napkins, etc. Even just a small hint of your initials somewhere puts a personal touch in your home. It gives you a sense of pride in your space and a pretty personal touch. Love is always in the details. Here are a few options:
5. SIGNATURE SCENTS: The one thing I can remember about my grandmother, she always had her signature scents in our family home. I can remember smells of Christmas, her vanity area, each bathroom. Whenever we were in her home beautiful scents were throughout each space. If it wasn't a candle, it was a diffuser of the same smell. Smell is such a powerful sense and create beautiful memories that trigger happiness. I have always created the same thing in my home. Scents that make you feel good. Try creating a beautiful scent for your home. In the summer I love jasmine. Here are a few of my favorite options.