I can remember being a teenager and wanting a vanity for my bedroom. My parents didn't really think I needed one, so I went ahead and make shifted one myself. It was made of a small side table and old mirror. It was magical and it was my special little space. As a girl, there is something very powerful about your 'dressing area'. I used to watch my grandmother in her large glamorous vanity put on makeup every morning and was just mesmerized by the special care she took in prepping herself for the day. She didn't wear much makeup, but with every product she put on, I could see her confidence grow. As she would finish up, she would spray her favorite scent and declare herself ready for her day. All she was doing was going to the kitchen to make breakfast for our extremely large family, but she did with this killer confidence you see in the movies. I think every girl should use her vanity in the same way, a place to feel more beautiful, say affirmations to begin your day and walk away with beaming confidence. Here are a few essentials for your home confidence area a.k.a the vanity.
1. A gorgeous mirror. Without a fantastic mirror, it's just an ordinary work space. The first key in setting up your vanity for success is the mirror. You want something large enough to reflect ample light and see everything. I prefer antique mirrors for the drama.
2. Fantastic lighting. I always like to choose an area with a ton of natural light because that's the best to apply makeup to the face. However, the right light fixtures can work too. You will want your light fixtures to direct light at your face, not from above, that will cast shadows you don't need. The lightbulb is everything. I recommend lightbulbs with a CRI of 90 or above. (CRI = color rendering index number) Try these.
3. The right seating. A beautiful chair obviously would be amazing, but I prefer small benches or vanity stools. You want to sit in something very comfortable but also have the need sit up straight while putting on your makeup. Good posture is a great habit to start out your day right.
4. Things that make you smile. Whether its pictures of your loved ones, framed vision boards, words of encouragement or just trinkets you adore. Be sure that your vanity has a collection of things that put a smile on your face. Nothing can beautify you better.
5. Proper storage. Be sure to use a table with at least a few drawers. You don't want everything piling up on top of your beauty area. There are also plenty of beautiful organizers to sit atop your table space.
6. Flowers + candles. The right fragrance can make everything better. Flowers will lift your spirits and keep the vanity area looks fresh and beautiful. Then, you'll want to burn a candle for ambiance. Those two things will just make the whole experience complete. I like to make sure all my products packaging is matching and looks good together too. For example, I love black white and gold, so on my vanity you'll find things in that color scheme of packaging like so. . .
Happy beautifying! xo